Sunday, March 23, 2008

Gloomy Sunday

Sunday is the day today. Sunday, holiday, is generally meant for rest , a day of fun, party, laughter, get together. But for some, this day may not be what it is meant to be. Yesterday, my elder brother called me from Delhi. For some unknown reason he was sounding very depressed. Today, I called him again. He is still very upset. He didn't tell what's the reason behind his depression. I guessed it is somewhat related to his career. Gloomy Sunday for him, isn't it ? Anyway......

......Today, I have selected to post on a song called "Gloomy Sunday". When I first heard it, I liked it very much, for it is, musically, very much relaxing. But its lyrics is depressing. At that time, I didn't find the song as gloomy as I am feeling it today.

"Gloomy Sunday" is popularly known as "The Hungarian Suicide Song". It was banned from the radio for years due to its depressing lyrics. It is considered the most haunted song in the world due to the many suicides that occured directly after people heard the song in Hungary. But according to some, the suiside thing was a rumor, rumored by the record company itself as a part of publicity or marketing strategy.

Gloomy Sunday, though recorded and performed by many singers, is closely associated with Billie Holliday, who scored a hit version of the song in 1941. The song was originally written and composed in 1933 by Rezső Seress, a self-taught pianist and composer of Hungary. The crushing hopelessness and bitter despair which characterised the first two stanzas penned by Seress were superseded by the more mournful, melancholic verses of Hungarian poet László Jávor. Sam M. Lewis and Desmond Carter each translated the song into English. But the immense popularity of the song was the work of Billie Holliday. He interpreted the song by adding a third stanza to assuage the pessimistic tone, giving the song slightly dreamy feeling.

I, personally, like the version sung by Sarah Brightman(Album-La Luna). It is little orchestral and jazzy which I always like.
Sarah's singing and the music creates the right mood for the song. I also like the dreamy variation of Sarah more than the other versions, her singing and the music create the right mood for the song.

You can read the the background of such a depressing lyrics and music here.

Listen the song here.

No comments: